My Favorite A.M. Routine



Some of us are the types that role out of bed, rush to get ready, and leave the house forgetting breakfast. Then there are others that have an established routine that allows for a slow steady pace, lots of down time and relaxation, and maybe even some exercise and breakfast. If you are one of these, you may cringe or idolize the other. Some people really just don’t have time to have a smooth, slow, enjoyable morning. I get it. Life is busy. However, I want to share with you a few simple things I do each morning, that are quick, easy, and will kick your day off right.

1.     Stretch- The absolute first thing I do when I wake up is move my body. Our bodies become stiff and uncomfortable after a long nights rest. Its important to start getting the juices flowing first thing in the morning, as to avoid pain, injury, or overall feelings of ‘blah.’ I am not talking about anything strenuous here. I mean some very light stretching, without pushing. Simply stretch your arms over head and then bend down and reach your toes. Any simple stretching works here. Here are some quick stretches you can pick from. 
2.     Lemon Water- The benefits of lemon water are transformative. Lemon not only aids in digestion and metabolism, it also gives us an energy boost. Check out the benefits of lemon water here. Try this before you drink or eat anything else in the morning.
3.     Journaling- Yes, I actually sit down and take 5-30 minutes to journal every morning, depending on my schedule. Typically I average at about 10 minutes each morning. What I write changes on a daily basis. Sometimes I write my goals for the day, a gratitude list, or just simply about my thoughts. Whatever works for you, do it. The simple act of stopping, sitting down, and being present with your thoughts, its extremely powerful and meditative.
4.     Yoga- Again, I am not talking about some hour-long hot yoga class with the women in the neighborhood. I am talking about simple, easy, comfortable, light yoga that can take as little as 5 minutes. I typically pick a 30-minute yoga routine off of YouTube.com each morning and do it in my living room. Worried about how you look? Aren’t great at yoga? No worries, me either. You wont have any audience with this one! My all time favorite yoga video is here.

5.     Coffee and breakfast- Coffee is one of those contradictory items. Some say its good for you, other’s say its bad. I go with the ‘good’ guys here. Coffee, for me, is not only an energy booster, it is also very grounding and comforting for me. The warmth of the coffee and the aroma of the beans, really take me to a relaxing place.  Lastly, please, please, please, don’t skip breakfast. My mother always told me growing up, ‘Marianne, breakfast is brain food.’ Even if you don’t have time for a sit down meal, grab a meal-bar for on-the-go. My favorite meal-bar is here.

Comments

Popular Posts